The National Science & Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant (National SMART Grant)
The National Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent Grant, also known as the National Smart Grant is available during the third and fourth years of undergraduate study to full-time students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and who are majoring in physical, life, or computer sciences, mathematics, technology, or engineering or in a foreign language determined critical to national security. The National Smart Grant award is in addition to the student's Pell Grant award.
QualificationsTo be eligible for this grant you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be a Federal Pell Grant recipient
- Be enrolled full-time in a degree program
- Be enrolled in a four-year degree-granting institution
- Major in physical, life or computer science, engineering, mathematics, technology, or a critical foreign language
- Have at least a cumulative 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale (as set forth in regulations to be promulgated soon)
The National Smart Grant will provide up to $4,000 for each of the third and fourth academic years of study.
Eligible Fields of Study
For a list of eligible fields of study, please see the Department of Education .